Smoked Ham and Corn Chowder
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
|500 g||1,10 lb||boneless smoked ham, cubed|
|500 g||1,1 lb||frozen corn, thawed and drained|
|750 ml||3,17 cup||cold milk|
|375 ml||1,5 cup||cold chicken stock|
|250 ml||1 cup||cooking cream (optional)|
|500 g||1,1 lb||potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5 cm cubes|
|5||5||celery stalks cut into large dice|
|2||2||medium onions chopped into large dice|
|100 g||0,22 lb||butter|
|100 g||0,22 lb||all-purpose flour|
|2,5 ml||0,5 tsp||fresh or dried thyme, chopped|
|4||4||stems green onion, chopped|
|15 ml||1 tbsp||olive oil|
|salt and pepper|
- In a large pot over medium heat cook the onions and celery in the butter for two minutes.
- Add the flour and mix well to coat the vegetables and make a roux.
- Immediately add the chicken stock and milk and mix well to dissolve the roux.
- Add the potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer stirring occasionally to keep potatoes from sticking to bottom of pot.
- Cook until potatoes are cooked but not overcooked.
- Add corn and cream, adjust seasoning, bring to a boil and keep warm.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add the ham cubes and cook, stirring, until well browned. Keep warm.
- Serve the chowder accompanied by the ham cubes and chopped green onion.